Aquarium Product Maintenance
Here you'll find the most commonly asked questions about aquariums and fish keeping. If you don't find the answer to your question here, you can e-mail us at TetraCare® or call at 1-800-423-6458.
- Q) How often should I change the cartridge on a Power Filter?
- A) The cartridge should be changed every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Q) How often should I change the water in my aquarium?
- A) You should do a 25% water change every 2 weeks. There is no reason to remove the fish during the water change. Make sure you stir the gravel or use a gravel cleaner during the water change. When adding water back in to the aquarium, use Tetra AquaSafe® to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Try not to do over a 50% water change, this will remove the beneficial bacteria and can cloud the tank.
- Q) Can the Power Filter cartridge be rinsed off and reused?
- A) No, it should not be reused. Change the cartridge every 2 to 4 weeks to ensure the best filtration.
- Q) Does the Power Filter put oxygen into the tank?
- A) The Power Filter cleans the water and puts in oxygen. As the water flows back in to the tank, it breaks the surface area and adds oxygen to the water. It works like a waterfall. It can only benefit your tank to have extra oxygen, but the Power Filter is all you need.