6 Signs of Happy, Healthy Fish
Your fish are happy and healthy when they:
- Swim actively throughout the entire tank, not just hanging out or laying at the bottom, floating near the top or hiding behind plants and ornaments.
- Eat regularly and swim to the surface quickly at feeding time.
- Do not have white spots or blemishes on their body; do not have fins that are torn or ragged, and do not eyes that are bulging (unless you have a Bubble Eye Goldfish).
- Are expanding their gills regularly -- but not rapidly -- to take in water and oxygen
- Are brightly colored with vibrant scales
- Swim in clear, clean, odorless water